Monday, March 24, 2008

Alaska - Gov. Sarah Palin


I was impressed as I began researching our governors as to the number of women presently serving. The first I came across, this being alphabetical, was Sarah Palin of Alaska. Though not a native Alaskan, she embodies the frontier spirit that typifies our fiftieth state.

Tonight I am remembering Gov. Palin, her husband Todd and their four children in prayer.

I visited Alaska in 2002 on a cruise. It is a strikingly beautiful state with a promising economy. We need to remember especially, though, the Native Americans - Intuits and Indians - who make up a sizable minority of the state. Below is the email which I sent the Governor tonight:



Dear Governor Palin,

I trust you and your family had a good Easter holiday. As I have indicated in previous emails, it was my wish to actually contact you by telephone for a few minutes this evening. However, since that was not possible, I am taking this opportunity to let you know what I will be praying this evening.

First and foremost, I lift up your son Track as he serves our nation in the Army. I pray that he will be safe and serve honorably in his tour of duty.

I lift up your husband Todd in his work in the icy north. I am sure as a manager he faces risks overseeing production of your natural resources.

I pray for the continued education of your younger children.

As our economy is tied to the very natural resources that your state is blessed with, I pray for the continued success of your efforts in managing those resources. I pray for the economic prosperity of all Alaskans, especially the Native Americans, be they Eskimo, Inuit or Indian.

I pray for the safety and satisfaction of the many visitors to your beautiful state. My wife and I, along with my parents, visited Alaska on a cruise in 2002. My visits to Skagway and Haines were especially memorable! I just loved Haines, and fancied myself retiring there some day!

May your service to Alaska be remembered for generations to come!

In Christ,

Henry Martin,
Greenville, SC

No comments: